With the warm weather well and truly upon us, Council is urging all residents to ensure pools are safe and compliant to help avoid tragedy this summer AND TO ASSIST Council is offering free inspections and incentives.
To take advantage of the free inspection of your backyard pool to make sure it is compliant with Queensland’s pool safety laws contact Council to book a free inspection.
According to the Royal Life Saving Society Australia, in the last five years over 150 Australian children under the age of five have drowned, with 50 per cent of these deaths occurring in backyard pools.
There’s no better time than now to ensure your pool is safe – remember, home pool fencing and effective adult supervision is key to keeping our youngest community members safe.
Tips for ensuring pool safety this summer:
– Ensure pool gate swings back into a closed position and pool fence panels are securely in place
– Make sure there is always adult supervision
– Remove all climbable objects away from the pool fence i.e. chairs, ladders, trees, pot plants, BBQ’s etc.
– Ensure all pool pumps, grates and suction fittings are in place and maintained in good condition
– Display a current Resuscitation Sign prominently in the pool area and have up to date CPR and First Aid Skills
– Ensure pool chemicals are stored securely and out of view