It’s here next week and Maranoa Regional Council would like to advise residents of temporary road closures as part of the upcoming Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay being dashed through Our Towns.
To be held in Roma on Wednesday, 7 and to allow the Baton and vehicle convoy to travel safely through Roma roads will be closed for short periods of time (15 – 20 minutes) in Roma between 3.30pm and 5.30pm (Wednesday, 7 March).
The Warrego Highway in Mitchell will be closed to all traffic for approximately 50 minutes from 11am (Thursday, 8 March).
Motorists travelling through Mitchell are advised to avoid the area during this time.
During the Relay, every effort will be made to minimise disruption to residential access where possible, however it is expected that access may be temporarily affected.
Traffic control will be in place to direct motorists while the Baton travels through both towns.
Where required, motorists will be able to make their way around town with only minor delays.
Temporary road closures – Roma-Wednesday 7th:
• Riggers Road (Warrego Highway intersection)
• Warrego Highway (Riggers Road and Tiffin Street intersections)
• Tiffin Street (Warrego Highway and McDowall Street intersections)
• McDowall Street (Major Street, Lewis Street, Edwardes Street, Gregory Street, Charles Street, Wyndham Street, Arthur Street, Hawthorne Street, Carnarvon Highway, Feather Street and Alfred Street intersections)
• Queen Street (Alfred Street, Feather Street, Albert Street, May Street, William Street and Saunders Street intersections)
• Timbury Street (Queen Street, Saunders Street and Cottell Street intersections)
• Cottell Street (Timbury Street, Parker Street and Bowen Street intersections)
• Bowen Street (Cottell Street, Whip Street, Duke Street, Soutter Street, Spencer Street and Feather Street intersections)
• Feather Street (Bowen Street and Mayne Street intersections)
• Mayne Street (Feather Street, Carnarvon Highway, Hawthorne Street and Arthur Street intersections)
• Arthur Street (Mayne Street, Station Street, Bowen Street, McDowall Street and Bungil Street intersections)
• Bungil Street (Arthur Street, Hawthorne Street and Carnarvon Highway intersections)
In addition, access to parking around the Big Rig, PCYC, TAFE and the Community Hub in Roma will also be temporarily affected throughout the day leading up to and during the event.
Temporary road closures Mitchell noon (Thursday, 8 March)
• Cambridge Street/Warrego Highway (Sophia Street, Caroline Street, Ann Street, Alice Street, Mary Street and Elizabeth Street intersections)
• Elizabeth Street (between Cambridge Street and Dublin Street)
• Dublin Street (Elizabeth Street, Mary Street, Alice Street and Ann Street intersections)
• Ann Street (between Dublin Street and Cambridge Street)
In addition, access to parking around the Mitchell State School will also be temporarily affected throughout the morning leading up to and during the event.